Agricultural science is a dynamic field closely related to food security and sustainable farming. Agricultural scientists and engineers are constantly researching to develop crops that protect the climate and ensure steady food creation without compromising supplement quality. They are also investigating ways to further develop food processing, storage techniques, and scientific practices of livestock management. This blog will discuss the Agricultural Scientists Recruitment Board and its responsibilities. You can also check this link for Top ag recruiting firms.
What is the Agricultural Scientists Recruitment Board?
A free recruitment agency was established in 1973 with the approval of the Cabinet of Ministers. Initially, it worked in close association with ICAR (Indian Gathering of Agricultural Research); notwithstanding, as of late, in 2018, the Board was delinked from its former association with ICAR and brought under the domain of the Ministry of Agricultural and Farmers’ Welfare, Administration of India.
At the same time, it is associated with the Department of Agricultural Research and Education (DARE). The ICAR Agricultural Scientists Recruitment Board currently conducts entrance tests to enlist passage-level junior agricultural scientists under the Agricultural Research Services all-India cadre.
Brief History of the Agricultural Scientists Recruitment Board
In November 1973, the Cabinet approved bury alia setting up of Agricultural Scientists’ Recruitment Board with an entire time Chairman to work as a free recruitment agency in recruitment to various scientific positions in ARS and RMP. Considering the significant increase in responsibility of ASRB, a proposal was initiated for restructuring the Board.
The proposal was approved by the cabinet in 1986 and the membership was increased from one to three. Since the last restructuring of ASRB in 1986, the responsibility of ASRB has substantially increased, and significant changes have happened in the field of agricultural science; consequently, it was necessary to expand the composition of the Board.
Suitable academic qualifications for appearing in the ARS
Suppose you are pursuing a BSc (Hons) in Agriculture, BSc Biotechnology, or similar bachelor programs. In that case, you must know a great deal about how to be ready to appear in the ARS after your post-graduation.
If you are in class 10 or 12, you should remember:
- First, you need to have Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics (PCM) or Physics, Chemistry, Science (PCB) or Agricultural Science in the Class 12 exam to join any BSc program in agricultural science and related subjects.
- Second, post-graduation is the base qualifying degree for the Agricultural Research Services. And it isn’t easy to pursue any MSc program without great marks in bachelor courses.
According to the revised ARS qualification, candidates need a Ph.D. as the least qualification for recruitment to Pay Band-3 positions with revised grade pay. So, joining a Ph.D. program while appearing in the ARS exam is always useful. It can offer better value at the Meeting level.
How might you join ARS?
If you are interested in government jobs and wish to pursue your interests in agricultural science research, Agricultural Research Services is an ideal decision. It is an all-India cadre serious exam, just like the Indian Administrative Services. We suggest you check this link for Top ag recruiting firms.
Age Limit: Least 21 years and maximum 32 years
Academic qualification: Masters in disciplines related to agricultural science like – Agricultural Biotechnology, Agricultural Entomology, Agricultural Microbial science, Genetics and Plant Reproducing, Plant Biochemistry, and more
Mandates (ASRB responsibility) to the Board
Along with the new restructuring in the ASRB, the Public authority of India has also restored specific mandates that the Board is responsible for conveying.
- Managing recruitment process to the posts in the ARS of the ICAR and recruitment to other posts by the President of ICAR.
- Delivering other assistance related to personnel management, including advancement, as specified by the President, ICAR.
- Advising the ICAR on disciplinary matters relating to selected personnel through ASRB or appointed in consultation with the Board by the Gathering.
- Recruitment to section-level agricultural scientist positions of the Agricultural Research Services through an All-India Serious Examination.
- Assessment for merit-based advancement and granting advance increments to agricultural scientists of the Services.
- Directing NET or National Qualification Test for the initial recruitment to Assistant Professor/Speaker positions in various State Agricultural Universities.
- Recruiting the joined cadres of Administrative Officers (AO)/Finance and Accounts (F&A) Officers of the Board.
Agricultural Research Services
Agricultural Research Services can be a phenomenal gateway for anyone ready to construct a career in agricultural research in India, especially in state agricultural universities, research institutes, and other government-enrolled agricultural science research positions.
The ARS examination consists of these three levels – Preliminary, Main, and Interview.
In the first paper, there will be an exam of 150 marks where there will be a negative marking. For each right answer, you get one mark, while 1/third is deducted for each inaccurate response. The duration is 2 hours, and the examination method is PC based. The main examination is for candidates who have passed the qualifying Prelims exam.
It consists of 240 marks, segregated into parts A, B, and C; the duration of the Main exam is 3 hours. Viva-voce or Interview is for candidates who have successfully qualified in the Main. It carries 60 marks and tests the suitability of candidates through immediate, natural, and purpose-driven conversations.
Career Progression Scheme (CAS)
A passage-level agricultural scientist enrolled through ARS can get elevated up to the rank of Secretary to the Public authority of India based on seniority in the cadre, higher academic qualifications (Ph.D., Post-Doc), and qualifying in open examinations. Junior agricultural researchers in the ARS cadre also get study leaves to pursue Ph.D. and other higher studies.
Eventually, we suggest you check this link for Top ag recruiting firms. We trust now you have a total idea about the Agricultural Scientists Recruitment Board, their responsibilities, and how to accomplish their work.