What is HGV Training?
HGV stands for Heavy Goods Vehicle. In HGV Training, individuals are trained to drive these Heavy Goods Vehicles. This training is mandatory for those who wish to take up HGV driving as a career option. This training involves both theoretical and practical training.
This is one of the convenient employment options in today’s time since there are many vacancies for this job. All you need to do is to take up HGV Training courses and obtain a valid license, and you are good to go. There are many organizations that offer HGV training in Edinburgh.
Why should you become an HGV driver?
The employment opportunities for HGV drivers are not going anywhere; thus, it provides job security. Even during the global pandemic, this is one of the essential jobs, and the demand for HGV drivers is ever-increasing. There are many job opportunities but a lack of well-trained professionals. Thus it won’t be an exaggeration to say that currently, this job has the highest security rate.
This sector also has room for development. You may start as a driver. However, with experience, you can switch to a higher position. This job is also preferred by many individuals since it provides flexibility.
What are the requirements for becoming an HGV driver?
To become an HGV driver, you will require a license from a certified training authority. The training can be for a duration of 5 days. Once you successfully complete your training period and get your license, you can start working. However, to obtain your license, you need to qualify for two tests – practical and theory tests.
What are the different types of licenses available?
The different types of HGV licenses are –
- Category C + E license – This license allows you to operate vehicles with a minimum weight of 7.5 tonnes. You can also operate vehicles with detachable trailers.
- Category C license – This license allows you to operate vehicles weighing more than 7.5 tonnes. Usually, fire engine vehicles and waste disposal vehicles lie in this category.
- Category C1 license – This type of license is given to drivers driving vehicles weighing more than 3.5 tonnes but strictly less than 7.5 tonnes. You need not take any test for this license if you have passed your driving test before 1997.
- Category D1 license – Obtaining this license will make you eligible to drive coach buses and mini buses with a maximum seating capacity of 16 people. Similar to the C1 license, you can get a D1 license if you have passed your driving test before 1997.
- Category B + E – This license permits you to tow any vehicle behind your regular vehicle.
What exactly is taught in these training sessions?
Firstly, you will be taught all the fundamentals regarding the handling of heavy vehicles. This is crucial since the rules for driving a Heavy goods vehicle are different from regular cars. In addition, you will be taught the handling of these vehicles on narrow or steep lanes. This involves both theoretical and practical training.
What are the benefits of becoming an HGV driver?
There are many benefits of becoming an HGV driver in today’s time. Let us take a detailed look at these advantages.
- High Job Security – HGV driver jobs are not going anywhere. In fact, there is a surge in demand for skilled HGV drivers. There are many vacant positions. However, there is a lack of well-trained HGV drivers. Thus you do not need to worry about job security even during adverse conditions.
- Highly paid – As previously discussed, there is a great demand for HGV drivers around the world. There are many vacant positions but a lack of employees to fill these positions. This gives you an opportunity to charge your services as you desire.
- Flexible working hours and location – There is a need for HGV drivers all around the world. Thus you can get this job by being in any corner of the world. All you need is a valid license, and you can work wherever you want. This is also a great option for individuals looking for a job that does not restrict them within the four walls of their office. This is a terrific opportunity to travel and explore.
What are the things that should be taken into consideration while choosing the training organization?
There are multiple options from which you can complete your HGV training in Edinburg. However, before enrolling, make sure that your training center has a rich experience in this training. You can validate the efficiency and legitimacy of these training programs by consulting individuals who have already taken up these courses.
The Bottom Line
You can also choose training programs with a free trial period. This will make you acquainted with the type of training they provide, and you can choose efficiently. This option allows you to compare different programs and choose what is best for you.